- 2 onions, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 heads of garlic, crushed
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1lb. white navy beans, soaked overnight
- 4 smoked ham hocks
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Be sure to check water liquid level throughout cook to ensure water is not evaporating.
- Pre-heat recteq to full.
- In a large, 10 quart cast-iron pot, add oil and place on grill.
- Add onions, pepper, garlic, and celery, then sauté until onions are translucent (about 15 minutes).
- Add the soaked white beans and 3 cups of chicken stock.
- Simmer until beans are fork tender.
- With a perforated spoon, remove half the beans and smash them.
- Add the beans back to the cast-iron pot and let them simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add ham hocks and let simmer until hocks are fork tender (about an hour), making sure the liquid level stays the same (add more chicken stock as it reduces if needed).
- Garnish with parsley.