If you love to go out apple picking during the Fall months, then this apple crisp dessert is perfect for you and your family.
- 8 Apples, peeled and cored
- 1/2 teaspoon Grated Lemon Zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Granola
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Brown Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- Food Processor
- Cast Iron Skillet
Adjust amount of sugar to taste.
- Cut the peeled and cored apples into halves and then slice to about 1/8" thick.
- Place the apples in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice and zest.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, and 1 tsp of cinnamon to the apples and toss again.
- Taste the apple mixture and add more sugar for a sweeter crisp.
- Spoon the apple mixture into a cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a food processor add butter, flour, granola, 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon and salt.
- Pulse the mixture until coarse and crumbly.
- Spoon this mixture evenly over top of the apples.
- Cook at 350°F until apples are soft and mixture is bubbly (40-50 minutes).
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Make sure that you have your favorite vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce on hand!