- 8 apples, peeled and cored
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granola
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Cut the peeled and cored apples into halves and then slice to about 1/8" thick.
- Place the apples in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice and zest.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, and 1 tsp of cinnamon to the apples and toss again.
- Taste the apple mixture and add more sugar for a sweeter crisp.
- Spoon the apple mixture into a cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a food processor add butter, flour, granola, 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon and salt.
- Pulse the mixture until coarse and crumbly.
- Spoon this mixture evenly over top of the apples.
- Cook at 350°F until apples are soft and mixture is bubbly (40-50 minutes).
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Adjust amount of sugar to taste.