Smoked Pumpkin Pie
- 3-4lb. pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- Pastry dough for a 9" pie crust
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Quarter pumpkin and remove seeds and pulp.
- Pre-heat REC TEC grill to 225°F and smoke pumpkin for around 2 hours, or until fork tender.
- Allow smoked pumpkin to cool enough to handle, and separate the "meat" from the "skin".
- Purée pumpkin until smooth, targeting a texture reminiscent of canned pumpkin; if pumpkin moisture content is low, add evaporated milk during purée as necessary.
- In a large bowl, combine all pie filling ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Line a 9" pie plate with pastry, trim and flute edges, and pour filling into crust.
- Cook pie at 350°F for 60-70 minutes until the custard is set.
- Cover edges with foil during last 15 minutes or so to prevent over-browning, if necessary.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate overnight or until fully set.
- In a small, chilled bowl, beat the cream, syrup, bourbon, and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Dollop or pipe onto pie.