Irish Beef and Oatmeal Stew
- 4lbs. beef chuck or brisket, cubed in 1/2" chunks
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 2 qt beef stock
- 22oz canned diced tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Ben's Heffer Dust
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- Pre-heat recteq to 400℉ with a large cast enamel dutch oven.
- Add the beef and allow to sear on all sides (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery and allow to set for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the flour to form a roux and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, and Heffer Dust, then allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add the oats and simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Remove the bay leaves prior to eating.