Grab your cast iron skillet and fire up your recteq wood pellet grill for this simple and delicious Smoked Cornbread Cakes recipe.
- 2.5 cups flour
- 2.5 cups cornmeal
- 5 eggs
- 6.5 tablespoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup melted butter
- 2.5 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture, and pour in the buttermilk, water, eggs, vanilla, and butter.
- Mix until the mixture is smooth, similar to pancake batter consistency.
- Place a lightly oiled cast-iron skillet onto the recteq at 400°F.
- Scoop 2 tbsp of cornbread mixture per piece into the skillet.
- Cook each cake for 4 minutes, flipping halfway.
These Smoked Cornbread Cakes are a delicious alternative to traditional pancakes for weekend breakfasts. Or, serve as a side for your favorite soup or seafood recipes from the recteq recipe library.